Many of the same healthy habits that protect your general health also promote healthy eye sight and help protect your eyes:
- Eating a balanced diet rich in fiber, fruits and vegetables
- Drinking water to hydrate your body and your eyes
- Not smoking, and avoiding long-term smoke exposure
- Wearing ultraviolet (UV) eye protection
- Considering appropriate vitamin supplements
- Antioxidants such as vitamins C and E and carotenoids such as Lutein and Zeaxanthin have shown some promise in research studies at reducing the risk and progression of cataracts and age-related macular degeneration (AMD) and other eye problems
- Regular medical and eyecare checkups.